On 21 March 2011 the Foundation Global Risk Forum GRF Davos and the Institute of Catastrophe Risk Management of the Nanyang Technological University Singapore signed a Memorandum of Understanding to foster risk reduction and disaster management research and applications for the benefit of society and the environment an to promote learning and capacity building in risk reduction and disaster management, in particular in developing countries.
The Nanyang Technological University, Singapore is a well-established, research-intensive tertiary institution with a vision to be a great global university founded on science and technology. The vision of ICRM (Institute of Catastrophe Risk Management) is to become Asia's leading research institute in catastrophe risk management. The work of ICRM will help those at risk worldwide in general, and in Asia in particular. In alliance with other leading research institutions worldwide, ICRM will stimulate ideas, develop strategies, investigate policy implications and create new perspectives.
The collaboration will focus on:
- developing agendas of research and applications, and monitoring capacities in the field of risk reduction and disaster management ( integrative risk management concepts, urban risk reduction, critical infrastructure protection, climate change adaptation, financial engineering, microinsurance, etc.) ;
- promoting methodologies and best practices so as to develop and implement participative and inclusive risk reduction and disaster management practices and policies;
- facilitating knowledge management through enhanced collaboration towards building capacities in access to data and information as well as disseminating technical expertise, training materials, and good practices;
- providing a common platform for advisory services and technical assistance, including exchange of collaborators;
- organization of consultations for preparation of programmes, curricula and educational and technical materials on risk reduction and disaster management, and environmental and social sustainability.